Monday, June 11, 2007

Vengence

last week, i stayed home alone while Ben had to go to some conferences/meetings in Ohio and Ann Arbor. The scroogim were pretty good company, but developed an annoying routine of sleeping all day and then playing and chasing each other all nigth... The architecture of our apartment isn't compatible with just closing a door and staying clear of all the commotion, which resulted in me spending a couple of nights falling in and out of very shallow sleep.
Revenge was inevitable.
Starting the next morning, i made up my mind that the scroogim don't get to sleep if i don't.
Whenever they fell asleep in their favorite corners, i woke them up by calling them, playing with one of their toys, or (my favorite!) clicking on the laser pointer button. The latter is very very soft, but their sharp ears are so tuned to it, that they jump out of sleep and immediately become alert, searching for the red dot on the carpet.
Revenge is so sweet. And a full night of sleep is priceless!

2 comments:

Sandy K. said...

I think I need a laser pointer. Last night Phoebe found a wire tie inside a plastic bag I'd inadvertantly left in the hallway outside our bedroon door. She spent 15 minutes rattling the bag and pouncing on it until I finally gave up and got out of bed to take it away from her. The night before she imagined a mouse on the mantle for half an hour. Kept both Gary and me awake the whole time. The only ones sleeping were Roy and Grady.

bk said...

They don't keep me awake at night. But as soon as it gets light out (about 5:30), grey scrooge nibbles on my ears and kisses me and black scrooge nibbles on my hand and rams his head into my armpit. Happens pretty much every morning, and I think I'm getting so I can sleep through it, just like the ambulances, fire trucks, car crashes, and trains that run all night.