Saturday, June 20, 2009

The first week

I totally recommend Northwestern for delivery. Starting from a couple of hours after giving birth, and fir the next 48 hours, the three of us stayed in our own private room, that has a bed for mom, a fold-out bed for dad, and baby crib. The grandparents spent the days with us taking turns holding Ella :)
Everything seemed to be going just great. Ella's checks came out perfectly normal, and breastfeeding seemed to be natural for her!


going home

On the third day it was time to be discharged and leave the hospital. Ella's pediatrician came to check and release her, and my doctor came to check and release me, we got a load of supplies (diapers, etc) to take home, and a tiny hospital volunteer came to show us how to lock the baby in the car seat and accompanied us out the door.

At home, safta Dalia and gramma Sandy waited anxiously for us all :) it was Thursday, and soon enough we had to say goodbye to Saba Oddi.

boom trach
Ella's bowel movements have a way of announcing themselves very loudly (well, she's taking after her Sharon unclus!). one afternoon saba Oddi read "a tale of 5 baloons" to her, i wish i had that on video (sorry for the non-hebrew readers, it just doesn't translate well):


פגשו הילדים את אבא של רון.

שמח רון ואמר:
אבא - נפל את הבלון הצהוב!
שיהיה גדול - כמו הראש שלך!
גדול - גדול כמו.. כמו... השמש!!
אבא ניפח את הבלון... ניפח... וניפח...

ופתאום בום! טרך!

and at that exact moment, Ella shot one so loudly... it was just on cue. that's why we call her poops "boom trach" ever since.


weekend
Gary, Kevin and Erin joined us for the weekend. everybody's favorite pass-time activity was "holding the baby". except for me, i tried to also get some sleep...

Ella made sure she tries on all of her newborn outfits by having us change her clothes every time we changed her diaper. the way to do that, for the record, is to pee all over EVERYTHING as soon as the diaper is off.
(hey, we're new parents. of course most of our stories are going to involve poop)
more weekend pictures here

first doctor's appointment
we took Ella to see the doctor, at 4 days old she weighed 8lb 1.5oz (0.5oz more than when we left the hospital - babies lose some of their birth weight, mostly fluids).

2 comments:

dikla said...

yes... poop will be a major part of youir life for the next few months.
it reminds me of joke on which body part should be the most important...

THE BODY PARTS MEETING

One day the different parts of the body were having an argument to see which should be in charge:

The brain said "I do all the thinking so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The eyes said "I see everything and let the rest of you know where we are, so I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The hands said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to pick anything up or move anything. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The stomach said: "I turn the food we eat into energy for the rest of you. Without me, we'd starve. So I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

The legs said: "Without me we wouldn't be able to move anywhere. I'm the most important and I should be in charge."

Then the rectum said: "I think I should be in charge."
All the rest of the parts said: YOU?!!
You don't do anything! You're not as important as we are, surely!
You can't be in charge!"

So the rectum closed up...
After a few days, the legs were all wobbly,
the stomach was all queasy,
the hands were all shaky,
the eyes were all watery,
and the brain was all cloudy.
They all agreed that they couldn't take any more of this and agreed to put the rectum in charge.

The moral of the story?
You don't have to be the most important to be in charge....
just an asshole!

In our case, you don't have to be the biggestin the family to be in charge, just make the most amount of poop....

keren said...

LOL!!!
sounds like you have experience with that :P