Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kube Bamia

i tried to make Kube Bamia from Orly's recipe today. i've never done that before. it's basically Kubbe soup, so the kubbe itself is meatballs with a semolina (solet) shell, cooked in soup or tomato sauce.
the recipe calls for 'solet', or semolina, which i couldn't find in the store because here it's called 'cream of wheat' for some reason. the reason is, as i realized, that it indeed becomes kinda creamy if you add water to it... anyway, on the 2nd trip to the store i found the right stuff.
i didn't cook it all the way yet. just prepared the kubbe balls (well, balls is sort of an overstatement. they are more like barbaaba...) and put them in the freezer.
it was a big mess. the semolina 'dough' has the oddest consistency. it's sticky, but stretchy, and still tears easily, but you can patch it with no problems... sort of like liquid dough. weird. i'm glad i took that pottery class!
i hope it's worth it :) will let you know. we'll have some in the next few days.

here are some pictures that Ron took!

5 comments:

dalia said...

Kol Hakavod Keren for the courage.The only thing I make from
"cream of wheat" is porridge.To my opinion-to make Kube is "ant work" .Funny enough-the last two days I had only solet porridge after I had the check up in my asophagus.So I have lots of Solet if you want.Please take photo of the final dish.(without photoshoping.....)

bk said...

Success!! It was very good, so good that Keren got Ron to eat some of the green things in with the Kube.

Yuuummmmmm!!!

Unknown said...

Hello there!

I am surfing the net for Kube soup recipes, and I've come across your blog. We have just come back from Israel where we stayed with a Kurdish family but they couldnt tell me what the green vegetable is in the soup you eat with the balls. Can anyone please help? I just luuurve the stuff!!!!!
Desperate Kube lover :-)

keren said...

the green veg is Okra
the recipe can be found here in hebrew though. if you're serious about it, leave me your email here, and i will translate it for you.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.